Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Public Schools...a monster's metamorphosis
I would like to add a few more thoughts.
1. Bishop Sheen warned years ago, when massive public funding of schools began, that if private schools did not share in that funding then Catholic schools would soon collapse. I'm not certain if he foresaw the collapse of their mission or just the collapse of their finances.
2. How is it ethical for the state, federal and local, to confiscate a parents' income to subsidize public education; an education the parents might find immoral and dangerous. When public schools are rife crime and bullying. When the parents are opting to save nothing in order to put their children through a private school which receives no, or almost no, financial assistance from the money the state took to educate their kids.
3. I once read that all but one of the founding fathers of the US could speak or read Latin and Greek. Why does the public, and typical Catholic, school omit our heritage?
4. The US public schools did fine, initially...but like all things that are grounded with/in a false premise...it failed in the long run.
5. Many in the Reagan administration wanted to dissolve the Federal Department of Education...Bill Bennett, former Sec. of Education says Reagan told him he simply couldn't do it at that time, but needed Bennett to at least make sense of the thing. I don't think any one in a major office, at present, has the guts to take on this one.
6. Did anyone else think that the video of children singing the Obama kumbaya song smacked of scenes from the Hitler Youth...when the young were instructed to sing and praise and thank the political leader that made all things possible?